DC/OS and Confluent Provide Messaging and Streaming Flexibility
The combination of DC/OS and the newly announced Confluent Operator provides options for messaging and streaming technology integration.
Kubernetes has risen to become the most popular platform for developers to deploy and run Docker containers. With the GA of Mesosphere DC/OS 1.11 earlier this year, users gained the ability automate the installation and operations of Kubernetes with the same ease they have come to expect when deploying Confluent Platform, based on Apache Kafka, and 100+ other available services on DC/OS. Today we are pleased to share the news that Confluent is announcing the Confluent Operator.
Mesosphere and Confluent have been long-standing partners in enabling IT organizations to deliver Kafka-as-a-Service on any infrastructure. An emerging architectural pattern is to use Kafka alongside other data technologies to deliver data-driven applications, such as the SMACK stack. Below are just a few examples of how Kafka is being used:
- Enable the world's leading telcos to transform their businesses
- Create a self-service platform for data science teams
- Powering real-time geospatial data processing
While DC/OS has always been about giving users the flexibility to choose the container, data service, or infrastructure they need to build and run the next generation of applications, today's announcement takes that one step further and provides customers with three choices to integrate messaging and streaming capabilities into their applications:
- Run Confluent Platform, based on Apache Kafka, on DC/OS as a stand alone service alongside existing applications
- Run Confluent Platform, based on Apache Kafka, alongside Kubernetes (or multiple Kubernetes clusters) on DC/OS
- Run Confluent Platform, based on Apache Kafka, on Confluent Operator on DC/OS
To learn more about Confluent Platform, based on Apache Kafka, read our recent tutorial blog post on Building a Confluent Platform Data Pipeline on DC/OS. To learn more about Kubernetes on DC/OS, please view our Kubernetes webinar bootcamp.